Time really flies when you’re having fun. It’s hard for us to believe that we are already in our 4th year of helping companies increase their business online. Over the last 4 years things have really changed in the web design and SEO world. Most of these changes occurred within this last year. Google has really stepped up their game and rolled out so many algorithm changes, it’s almost impossible to stay on top of all of them. The biggest updates from Google have been from “Panda” & “Penguin”. What are they? Keep reading.
Google’s Panda Update
Google Panda was built through an algorithm update that used artificial intelligence in a more sophisticated and scalable way than previously possible. Human quality testers rated thousands of websites based on measures of quality, including design, trustworthiness, speed and whether or not they would return to the website. Google’s new Panda machine-learning algorithm, made possible by and named after engineer Navneet Panda, was then used to look for similarities between websites people found to be of high quality or low quality.
Many new ranking factors have been introduced to the Google algorithm as a result, while older ranking factors like PageRank have been downgraded in importance. Google Panda is updated from time to time and the algorithm is run by Google on a regular basis.
Google’s Penguin Update
Google Penguin is a code name for a Google algorithm update that was first announced on April 24, 2012. The update is aimed at decreasing search engine rankings of websites that violate Google’s Webmaster Guidelines by using black-hat SEO techniques, such as keyword stuffing, cloaking, participating in link schemes, deliberate creation of duplicate content, and others.
So what does this mean to me?
All of this means that your website content & design is even more critical than ever before. Google is moving toward eliminating all of the “artificial” SEO factors that we used to use to gain an advantage in it’s rankings and ranking sites purely on their user friendliness and “normal” content.
What used to help that now will hurt?
- Placing content on a page that says the same thing over and over again. This “keyword stuffing” tactic was never a good idea, but it did work. SEO’s would think of every possible way someone could search for something and write long paragraphs with all of those keywords in them. If you have paragraphs like this on your site, it would be a good idea to remove them. A good test is to read the information and if it sounds odd or contrived, Google is probably seeing it that way as well.
- Little regard for user interaction. Google can now effectively measure how users would interact with your website. Google can now look for certain quality indicators based on the content of your site and how it is arranged on the page. Google is now looking at websites with “artificial human eyes” and searching for triggers that people would find pleasing and allow them to easily find the information they’re looking for.
These are just a couple of the factors that have increasing importance in your website’s performance. Google is constantly adjusting their algorithm to fine tune their search results and it’s something that someone had better be tracking all the time. Your site is in serious danger of losing market share if your SEO strategy is an afterthought to your marketing plan.
Here is an excerpt of an email…
that I recently sent to a client that was seeing increasing competition in a segment that they basically had a monopoly on.
The thing is, you’re no longer doing anything unique. You now have serious competition that is looking to gobble up your marketshare. I wrote this more than 2 yrs. ago and it is what’s happening to you: http://propelpages.com/seowebconsultant/2010/09/23/i-can-steal-your-business/.
The game has changed and now the pros have entered the arena. The question is, what are you going to do about it? Your competitors are looking to make some serious money. There is still time for you to keep your advantage (which is based on the time you’ve been around and the sites linking to your site). This advantage won’t last forever since it’s just a result of time and time doesn’t stop.
Keep the above information in mind when you’re considering website changes as web design and SEO are ever more hand in hand. If you’d like for us to do a FREE EVALUATION on your site, just click this link and submit the form.
We would like to thank some of our long-term clients for trusting us with their Internet marketing.
We know someone will be left out, but we sincerely appreciate everyone who is a client and everyone who has contacted us, whether they chose to go with us or somebody else. Our hope is that everyone we interact with has a better understanding of their Internet marketing after talking with us. Below is a list of businesses that really “Get It”. They see the opportunities that are out their when exceptional Internet marketing strategies are put into place. These are truly the industry leaders.
- Jay-Cee Sales – Rivets, Rivet Tools & Specialty Fasteners
- J & J Burning and Fabricating – Structural Steel Fabricators
- Wolverine Bronze & it’s entire family of companies – Bronze Sand Casting
- McDunnough Inc. – Material & Recycling Solutions
- Maxi Container – Drums & Specialty Containment Solutions
- Orbitform Group – Assembly Solutions for Manufacturing
- Fortech Products – Corrosion Resistant Coatings & Metal Forming Lubricants
- Invertech – Breathing Air & CO2 Monitors and Systems
- AA Tanks – ASME & Non-ASME Tanks and Pressure Vessels
- Inter-Lakes Bases – Custom Machine Bases & Dial Plates
- For even more, visit our portfolio page
Room For 2 More
As you’ve read above, with all of the constant Google updates, our clients keep us really busy. We feel it’s really important to give each client the time they deserve for their individual needs. Because of this, we limit the number of clients we have. It’s not a quantity game for us as we focus on the success of our clients. We currently have room for 2 more clients for 2013. We have expanded our workforce and feel this will allow us the time to handle this extra work while not sacrificing quality. Feel free to Contact Us if you’re interested in one of these spots. We do not take all comers however; we feel it’s important that we are a good fit for our clients and that everyone understands the importance of what they are undertaking.
Once again, thank you to everyone for the years of partnership and the years to come.